Analysis Of Compound Sentence
Let us analyze the following sentence :
Spring has come and the air is filled with the songs of birds.
This sentence consists of two coordinate statements. The first statement is Spring has come. The second is the air is filled with the songs of birds. The statements are connected by the conjunction and.
We see then that to analyze a compound sentence is to :
1. Name the different coordinate statements.
2. Name the connecting words if any, and tell what they connect.
3. Analyze each coordinate statement and each clause, if any, as though it were a simple sentence.
Analyze each of the following sentences according to the models and directions given above :
1. A ramble in the fresh air restores the drooping spirits.
2. One man's meat is another man's poison.
3. A man who wore ragged clothes has just passed down the street.
4. The soldier was killed where the fight was fiercest
5. Now fades the glimmering landscape on the sight,
And all the air a solemn stillness holds.
6. I rose early this morning and studied my lesson before breakfast.
7. The weary invalid begged that we would stay with him.
8. On the grassy bank stood a tall waving ash, sound to the very core.
9. I slept and dreamed that life is Beauty; I woke and found that life is Duty.
10. Hail universal Lord! be bounteous still To give us only good; and if the night Have gathered aught of evil or concealed Disperse it, as now light dispels the dark.
Find in your readers some stanzas of poetry that you like and analyze them.